Free School Meals
Your child may qualify for free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- The guaranteed part of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as your annual gross income is £16,190 or less, and you don’t get Working Tax Credit)
- Working Tax Credit run-off after you come off Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit that you applied for on, or after, 1 April 2018. As long as your household income is less than £7,400 a year after tax, not including any benefits
Children who are eligible for free school meals can get them until:
They finish school; or if on 31 March 2022 they are still in school, until they finish primary or secondary school – whichever is sooner.
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 can get free school meals whatever your income. But if you have one of the qualifying incomes it will help the school if you tell them this, so they can get extra funding.
Children who are younger than the compulsory age for starting school but in full-time education, can also get free school meals.
They may also qualify if you are an asylum seeker, or if they receive any of these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian.
For more information and to apply Click here